Following is a list of frequently asked questions and answers.  Please click on the question that is relevant to you to find the answer.

What services do the centres provide?

Each centre has a coordinator who makes sure programs, services and supports for families are easy to access and use.

Services and support may include:

  • maternal and child health services
  • speech therapy support
  • paediatric services and paediatric referrals
  • family psychological services
  • counselling services
  • antenatal classes
  • early learning programs
  • early literacy/numeracy programs
  • cultural programs
  • child support activities
  • playgroups, including Best Start Aboriginal playgroups run by the Department of Local Government and Communities
  • school holiday programs
  • other child support programs, for example Rhyme Time, Aboriginal Story Time
  • parenting and family support
  • parent literacy support
  • parent workshops and groups, for example the Positive Parenting Program (Triple P), protective behaviour workshops, new parent and  baby groups, young parent workshops (for under 25 year olds) and managing behaviour workshops
  • transition schooling activities
  • multicultural programs and services
  • referrals to other services.

Contact your local Child and Parent Centre to find out what services are available in your community.

Who are the centres for?

The centres are mainly for families with children from birth to four years as these are the years when children develop most. Families with children up to eight years old can also use the centres.

Why are the centres part of schools?

Centres are located at or near schools to give families easy access to advice, programs and services, and give schools the opportunity to work with families from the time children are born through to starting school and beyond. The centres will assist children to be ready to start school, and to become happy, confident learners.

What is the State Government’s role?

Child and Parent Centres are a State Government initiative that sees the Department of Education, Department of Health, Department of Local Government and Communities, Department for Child Protection and Family Support, and Department of the Premier and Cabinet working together to support families with young children.

A total of $48.7 million is being invested from 2013 to 2017 in 21 Child and Parent Centres across Western Australia.

Each centre will provide programs and services from a special building on or near the school site.

Who coordinates the service of the Child and Parent Centres?

Each Child and Parent Centre is operated by a non-government organisation in partnership with the Department of Education. They employ a coordinator who works with parents, schools and the local community.

The non-government organisations have been selected because they have a great deal of experience and expertise in providing programs, services, and advice for families with young children.

Together with principals, Child and Parent Centre coordinators work with government agencies, community organisations and local groups so families get the services and support they most need.